Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day 9: Cut Bank to Havre

After a luxurious night at the Super 8 Motel, the bikers set off bright and early at 6:30 to get in as many miles before the afternoon heat hit. Meanwhile, I took off for a nice trot down cut bank. The only unpaved area to run was next to the Amtrak tracks. I finished off my weekly mileage super early, so I ended up only doing 4 miles.

The rest of the day was pretty nonchalant. I caught up with the duo in Dunkirk for lunch. To be fairly honest, this was one of the more boring days of the trip. Not much to see or do. Just checking out the scenery of the great plains. Getting some artsy photos. I saw some birds by the train tracks so I got a picture of one of them. At the end of the day I could see the great Bearclaw mountain range, a nice break from the flat plains.

In terms of aiding the bikers, the morning time is where the miles were turned out. It was cooler and the wind was calm as compared to the afternoon when the sun bears down and the stops are more frequent. Usually, Wes and Will can go 3 hours without support of any kind in the mornings. Whereas, in the afternoon, every hour and a half requires a pit stop for refueling.




The end of the day landed us in Havre, MT. Once again the duo managed over 100 miles, putting them at a total of 9 centuries in a row, which is quite the accomplishment. A town with a spanish/southwestern feel. Mexican restaurants were abundant with southern styled buildings, much like the motel we stayed at called El Toro.



No comments:

Post a Comment