Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Day 3: Leader Lake to Kettle Falls

    Waking up from a night of camping isn't always the greatest feeling, but when the view is this nice, I couldn't complain. The bikers changed and took off  bright and early from Leader Lake, getting a head start while I hauled the camping supplies back into the car. Luckily for them, it was downhill for the first 20 miles. Once out of the mountains, the landscape turned into a sort of valley. The road ran into a number of small towns, non of which showed any signs of life at 7:30am on a Sunday. If any indie band wanted a place to take a picture for their new album cover, the town of Okanogan is prime location.

The bikers plowed forward further, soon reaching their first climb of the day. I stopped at the small settlement of Wauconda, which featured a closed cafe and closed post office. The population was 209, but I'd be surprised of more than 15 people lived in the surrounding area. It was at that point Wes and Will decided they wanted to push through to Kettle Falls. After meeting them at the top of Sherman Pass, I began my descent on the best stretch of road I have driven on this trip. Twenty miles, downhill lined with enormous evergreens 90% of the entire twenty miles.  
The end of the road dropped my in Kettle Falls where two bridges crossed the Columbia river. i met Wes and Will at the end of the descent, and they were both estatic. They both agreed that the descent was the best bit of riding they had done ever. To cap off the day, they rode 120 miles! For dinner, we stuffed our faces with the locally made pizza, better than any chain place I've been to, by far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment