Thursday, June 11, 2015

Day 14: Dickinson to Bismarck


We really scored big on the motel: free breakfast, laundromat on premises, and a pool. What-a-deal!
Before I took off though, I had to eat do the laundry, clean out the cooler and pack the car. I hit the road by 9 and stopped at a grocery store for food. On I-94 I passed the worlds largest scrap metal sculpture collection. I got a picture of the largest one. I also passed into the central standard time zone, the same one as Chicago.



The first stop came in the small town of Heron. Aka Brick city. I saw some cute cats and found a quiet park to relax and write some stuff on an assortment of papers. Wes and Will ate lunch at a local cafe and chatted with some other bikers who were passing through. It was refreshing to see other people riding the Northern Tier as well.







The next checkpoint came at New Salem, ND. I decided to go for my run to the towns tourist attraction atop a large hill. Salem Sue is a 38 foot high, 50 foot long Holstein Cow, the worlds largest. It was donated by local dairymen in 1989 to commemorate a century long industry of successful dairy farming.

Because Wes had a busted rear derailuer wire, I had to drive up quickly to Bismarck to get the part. The bike shop I stopped at was a triathlete store called Epic Sports. They sold swimsuits, running shoes and lots of bikes. Because Wes and Will couldn't find it, I grabbed the wire and took it back to the motel. By the time I arrived, the duo looked wiped out from another 100 mile day. After a quick stop at Qdoba for dinner, I hit the hay soon after.


No comments:

Post a Comment