Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 27: Niagara Falls, ON to Fairport, NY

The stay in Canada was fun, but short lived. Will and Wes headed out a little later that usual around 7:30 and crossed the bridge into New York State. Meanwhile, I ran down to the falls to get in some casual sightseeing. I even took a picture by Niagara to prove that I'm still alive.

After gathering my belongings, I hit the road, crossing the rainbow bridge into Niagara Falls, NY. The night before I was watching border patrol on TruTv with Wes and Will. When I pulled up the border control, I started thinking of ridiculous situations where I would be pulled over and searched. Compared to the Canadian side, which was bustling with people the New York-Niagara was very quiet. Most of the tourists were on the riverfront and not out and about the town. Overall, it was quite dilapidated.

Leaving the borderlands, I began to pass endless vineyards. The bikers soon hopped on the Erie Canal trail, which followed the canal for 356 miles across New York state. It was a flat, simple crushed gravel trail that was fairly shaded. It was easy riding, but required more work because of the loose surface. I met them along the trail in Brockport for my run and lunch.

After lunch, it was more Erie Canal for the bikers. I scouted out a place for a night, but got caught in Rochester traffic in the process. It was the worst traffic of the trip. I think it had to do with the ever popular Jazz festival that was in town. Anyways, I found a small motel in Egypt, NY. I scooted back to the small town of Fairport to pick them up. The downtown was quite cool and they proudly displayed that they were voted the best small town to live in back in 2005 and 2006.

Will and Wes pulled up. Will was particularly exhausted, perhaps mentally as well as he believed the 102 miles he rode to be harder than usual. Most likely, the softer surface was the result of that.

27 days strong, 27 centuries and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment