Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 28: Fairport to Port Ontario

The morning, much like the previous few, had been nearly perfect weather conditions. After 14 more miles on the Erie Canal, Will and Wes took of north towards Lake Ontario and stopped in Sodus Point for breakfast.

Meanwhile, I talked to Wes and got permission to drive into Syracuse to run with my college running teammate, Patrick. We hit up the trails in Green Lake State park. It was hands down the most beautiful running spot I had found yet. I wish I had brought a GoPro or something to take a picture of two, because it was picturesque off the wah-zoo. But alas, if you want to see visit for yourself.

After a quick brunch and goodbye, I drove to Fulton to meet up with Wes and Will. Arriving early, I found the local laundry mat and did a much needed load of laundry. Following that, I met up at Wendy's and put together a plan for this evening.

Port Ontario was exactly 100 miles for the day. I scouted out the region and found a quaint camping spot/state park on Lake Ontario. It had a shower, camp store, bathrooms plus a cool view. I drove back out of the park to look for a grocery store and give Wes and Will the good news.

On my drive back, I spotted the holy grail of post biking activities: Go-Karts. Within 10 minutes, I had picked up the bikers and driven straight back to the go-kart track. I opted to sit this one out and take some sick race pictures instead. Following the half hour racetrack session, we took a quick stop at ALDI for groceries before hitting up the campsite.

For dinner, we used a butane fueled stovetop to boil macaroni, pasta, potatoes, and fry up a bean & cheese quesadilla. This time we had a challenge. A flock of seagulls also inhabited the campground. They were not shy and often flew a few feet from the food. If I went so far as the car to grab a paper towel, the food was swarmed and eaten by the birds. At one point a garbage bag with discarded macaroni disappeared. As always we had an array of salts and spices to make the otherwise bland tasting dinner somewhat tasty. Without any access to tv or internet, bedtime was 10pm, but I was out by 9:45.






No comments:

Post a Comment