Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Day 30: Inlet, NY to Middlebury, VT

The weather was a bit chilly this morning. The layers were on when I dropped off Wes and Will about 7 miles down from the motel. Upon return, I grabbed some free continental breakfast, at a MOTEL! It fantastic to get something in the system right away in the morning. When I walked back to my room, I saw what had to be the largest dog I've ever encountered. His name was Memphis and he was over 200 pounds.

Following my departure from the motel, I found Wes and Will further up the road in the town of Blue Ridge. They got a small snack and we set our plan for the rest of the day. I needed a few hours to get my workout in for the day, and the amount of trails were running out as we were nearly out of Adirondack Park. So I cruzed up ahead and found a nice trail, expecting to meet in Ticonderoga at 3. I drove up and found a nice trail. Unfortunately it was a bit muddier than I thought.

After my run I sped down to Ticonderoga. Many people might recognize the name from the #2 pencil you're forced to use throughout most of middle school. Anyways, there was something unique about the ride through Ticonderoga. At the end of the highway, instead of taking a bridge across the river, there's a ferry across. Of course, fearing that I was behind schedule, I took the ferry across before they did, receiving word as I was on the ferry that they were still behind me.

At last, the bikers were on the ferry and were bussed across Champlain Lake to the state of Vermont. The ride was nearly over for the day. I quickly went up to Middlebury to find accommodations for the night. As I got to the motel, the rain began to pour down. I zipped back up the road to retrieve them.

It was at dinner when Will and Wes made the incredible realization that they had ridden 30 centuries in 30 days. The phrase "I can't believe it" and "That's insane!" were uttered more times than I could remember. Wes stated it was a record that he would never seen broken by either of them in their lifetimes, but Will was insistent that he could do 35 centuries in a row one day. Just for the record, Wes said he'd bet $1000 dollars that he wouldn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment