Thursday, June 4, 2015

Day 7: Eureka to Glacier National Park

The temperature was 40º when I woke up this morning. Obviously prepared for anything, the bikers set off from the B&B at 6:30 am. I packed the car and headed over to the laundromat. I'm sure Wes is happy he hired someone that knows how to do laundry.

At the laundromat, I received a call from the owner of the B&B, Joan, who told me I forgot a pillow. I thanked her and told her I would be by, as I was still in town. Not five minutes later, I got a call from Joan again, but this time it was not concerning the pillow. Apparently, I had left some change on the nightstand, just a penny and a dime. Joan interpreted this a sign of discontent with our stay. I am unsure of what culture this comes from, but I explained that I had simply forgotten change and not intended to insult her hospitality.

The first checkpoint came along highway 97. For once, the road was quite rough. Coupled with a small shoulder, it was the most unpleasant road they had yet ridden on. 14 miles later, we came together again to grab lunch at a local pizza diner. Wes and Will rode up soaked and splattered with mud. The construction area had received rain while I was in the town. The clothing, along with their bikes, were covered in mud from riding through the muddy 2 mile unpaved portion.

After lunch, the duo headed up towards Glacier National Park. I stuck behind for an hour or so to go for a quick run. Proceeding that, I began to track down the biking duo. Forty five minutes passed of driving and I had still not located them. I came to an unpaved road as I received a call from Wes, who was already at the park. I was astounded, over a gravel road stretching for fifteen miles, I wouldn't have expected them to make such good time.

Another thirty minutes passed and I finally caught up. Wes inquired as to how passing through the gate went. Perplexed, I inquired of a certain gate as I had drove through uninhibited. After a good minute or two, I figured I had gone through a back entrance avoiding the $25 fee. The boys then asked me to accompany them for the next few miles up the road before turning around, as the road is still closed for snow removal. Excitedly, I threw on my gear and saddled up.

The ride was so beautiful. Part of the road was closed to motor vehicles as snow removal was still in progress, but bikers and hikers still had access. Being able to zip freely up the roads toward the snow topped mountains was quite the experience. However, by biking I sacrificed so many great landscape photo opportunities. To be honest, it was worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment